A fire on Old Plank Road in Johnston Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 2, damaged the former location of the animal shelter All God’s Creatures and current home of Grant and Denise Holcombe.
According to Emergency Management Agency Director Mike Casey, the fire appears to have started in the kitchen and was possibly electrical in nature. Although the blaze was called in by Mrs. Holcombe, who found the house afire upon her return home, there was no one at the residence at the time the fire started.
Johnston Fire Department was the primary responder to the scene, but under county-wide mutual aid protocols set in place, Trenton and Edgefield Fire Departments also responded. The fire was contained to the kitchen, however the entire home received heavy smoke damage. There were no injuries reported from this incident.