The Lakelands Beekeepers Association serves the following counties: Abbeville, McCormick, Greenwood, Saluda and Edgefield. Members are from all of these Counties. The Association is offering beginning beekeeping classes for anyone in these areas interested in learning the art of beekeeping.
Bees are such a vital part of food supply when considering that 1/3 of the food one enjoys is directly affected by honeybee pollination. Therefore, the more people managing honeybee colonies the better for local food production. The upcoming classes will be on Thursday evenings in Feb. and March of 2016. The details and registration information follows.
Meetings will be held at the Greenwood County library Auditorium, 600 S. Main St., Greenwood, SC, on Thursdays, February 4-March 24, 6:30-9:00 p.m.
The cost is $60.00 per individual, $80.00 per couple (scholarships for youth 10-18). This payment includes texts, handout materials, 1 year membership in state and local bee associations.
Session topics include:
- Basics (getting started, basic equipment, selecting an apiary site, supply sources)
- Getting to know the honeybee (bee biology, races of bees, bee history)
- Diseases and Pests (treatments, pesticides, IPM)
- Building equipment & lighting a smoker
- Working with Honeybees (starting a bee hive, installing a package/nuc, swarms and swarm control)
- Thinking like a honeybee (things they collect, nectar & pollen sources, products of the honeybee, honey packaging and labeling)
- Review and Certified Level written test
- Field day at a local apiary: hands on instruction
- Mentors available to assist the new beekeeper
To register, send name, address, phone number and email to Larry Lawson, 864-446-3250, firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration deadline: January 22, 2016.