Public reminded not to handle, move wildlife

Public reminded not to handle, move wildlife

A lot of wildlife makes appearances during the summer season, and it is not uncommon for people to come across these animals while out and about.  The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) wants to remind everyone that the best thing to do when one comes across wildlife is to leave it alone and […]

Letter to the Editor – Mayor Durham

Letter to the Editor – Mayor Durham

Dear Edgefield: This is written in response to the recent paid advertisement in the Edgefield Advertiser written by John Pettigrew, Sam Crouch and Bettis Rainsford concerning “The Redesign of the Edgefield Town Square”. First, let me say I totally respect their right to oppose and speak out against the project; but I also strongly feel […]

Letter to the Editor – Edgefield Square Improvements

Letter to the Editor – Edgefield Square Improvements

In recent years the Town of Edgefield and the Edgefield Community Development Association have taken on new approaches to increase business and visitor activity in Edgefield.  They have worked together to create re-enactments, festivals and events to bring new life to the downtown area.   However, that hasn’t been enough to bring the growth necessary to […]

Thomas Strother, LCDR (ret.) USN — Remembering WW I

Thomas Strother, LCDR (ret.) USN — Remembering WW I

Thomas Strother, LCDR (ret.) USN, former teacher of history at U.S. Naval Academy and whose roots are in Edgefield County, is the researcher/redactor/writer for the series called Remembering World War I. The series is running in the print edition of The Edgefield Advertiser and certain portions, explaining the background of the War at strategic times […]

Megan Gordon Places in Top Five

Megan Gordon Places in Top Five

Miss South Carolina USA Megan Gordon made it to the top five in the Miss USA Pageant on Sunday, May 14. She was crowned Miss South Carolina USA on November 19, 2016. Miss Gordon is a native of North Augusta, but her parents and grandparents are natives of Edgefield. She is the daughter of Rev. James […]

National Military Spouse Appreciation Day

National Military Spouse Appreciation Day

Photo: Penny Hunt speaking to military wives Each year, by Presidential Proclamation, National Military Spouse Appreciation Day is observed on the Friday preceding Mother’s Day. This year’s Military Spouse Appreciation Day was observed at nearby Fort Gordon Army Base, Augusta, Ga., with a luncheon for spouses that included a moving candle lighting ceremony during which local author, […]

Memorial Day Ceremony May 29, 2017

Memorial Day Ceremony May 29, 2017

Please join the Edgefield County Veterans Affairs Office, all of our County Veteran Service Organizations, veterans, retirees, widows, families and friends on the Edgefield Town Square May 29, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. for a Memorial Day Ceremony.  VFW Post 6932 Auxiliary is hosting this year’s remembrance and the program will include a […]

THE Dubber is for Real! – In Concert Here Thursday

THE Dubber is for Real! – In Concert Here Thursday

In meeting Wendell Culbreath one wonders where this name THE Dubber comes from.  This man is real; in this interview, there is no veneer of glamour or self promotion as one expects in most performers who have succeeded on stage and in recordings as well as he has.  His story gives us reason to know, […]

Huddle House in Edgefield Closes – Again [Updated Again]

Huddle House in Edgefield Closes – Again [Updated Again]

The Advertiser has learned that the Huddle House in Edgefield has once again closed for business.  A sign was placed on the front door to the restaurant, Thursday, May 18, that read, “We’ve Closed this location! Thanks”.  The Advertiser did contact the corporate office of Huddle House for information regarding this closing, but they were […]

J.E.T. Boys-to-Men — 5th Annual Mother/Son Dinner Celebration

J.E.T. Boys-to-Men — 5th Annual Mother/Son Dinner Celebration

J.E.T. Boys-to-Men Mentoring Club 5th Annual Mother/Son Dinner Celebration Theme: You Are the Sunshine Of My Life             On April 21, 2017 the J.E.T. Boys-to-Men Mentoring Club held its 5th mother/son celebration dinner. The butterflies, bees, flowers and pastel color décor displayed an elegantly summertime-fun atmosphere, with just a hint […]

1 4 5 6 7 8 88